My motivations and inspirations behind what I create and what I wear.
Five reasons I fell for Chelsea:
- Her neutral tones pair well with my bold color palette.
- Her wide brim allows me to hide in my thoughts, unbothered by my surroundings.
- She sits with ease and comfort over my big hair!
- We met at a 50% off sale.
- She loves me too. It’s always better when the feelings are mutual, you know?
Style Guide (From Head to Toe)
Hat: The Limited
Dress: Sheath Denim by Amyang Fashun (Available Upon Request)
Handbag: Wicker Carry Case (Miss GK’s Personal Collection)
Jewelry: Hand Beaded Jewelry (Miss GK’s Personal Collection from Sierra Leone, West Africa)
Shoes: Pour La Victoire Platform Sandal
~xo Miss GK~
The Adaeze Maxi Skirt. The African Maxi Skirt…Redefined
Loyal AF Client: I am not buying this maxi from anyone else.
Me: Are you sure? (In my comedic African Aunty voice) Because they seem to love to do it, so give them your coin.
Loyal AF Client: Put your spin on it please. Just have it ready for me in 2 weeks. My brother is graduating. As always, I need pockets. Thanks!
So… I sat down to sketch by myself, because my sister was working on something else and would not be bothered. I thought about a process we call ‘Amyang-in’. How can I remix this basic a** skirt into something I would wear? Then it dawned on me. I don’t like wearing them because they never have what I want. So I simply added attributes that I wanted for myself.
- Hi-Lo: If your height puts you at a regal 5’6” or below, you may feel like a maxi skirt does nothing for your over look. I would agree. So I added the hi-lo element to give the illusion of added inches.
- Complimentary Fabrics: I wanted to create contrast and further highlight the hi-lo effect, so the lining is actually another ankara fabric, not just solid material. When you walk on a windless balmy day down the street, you will appear to float. It’s regal AF.
- Signature Cinching Waist: When you order one, you will see what I mean. Exclusively Amyang.
- Pockets: Well, why not? I absolutely love how excited my new clients are when they try on an item and are shocked to see that they have pockets. I need them. My assumption is that you do too.
We create with the global citizen in mind, a person who is well traveled and appreciates culture from all over, especially Africa. At a client’s request, we customize the order (ie. no lining because of tropical heat), so just let us know what you want. We’ve got you. We carefully select fabrics that are bold and eye-catching, yet classic and appealing. What do you think of the African Maxi craze? Are you a fan of our take on it? What would you like to see done with the Maxi? Let me know in the comment section.
Remember to S.L.A.Y.